The Family

“The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together.”
Erma Bombeck

Thursday, June 17, 2010

All the things we like to eat are animals!

This is my first post on my first blog. I guess I'll just jump right in! Last night, my 4 year old, Caroline, and I were having a conversation before bed. I'm not sure how it started, but it went something like this . . .

Caroline: I would never eat a frog.
Me: Some people do.
Caroline: (horrified) WHAT?!
Me: Yes, some people eat frog legs.
Caroline: Really?
Me: You eat cows.
Caroline: (disbelieving) What?
Me: Where do you think roast beef comes from?
Caroline: I didn't know that.
Me: And bacon and sausage are made from pigs.
Caroline: I didn't know we eat animals.
Me: How do you feel about that? About eating animals . ..
Caroline: (very thoughtful) Not good.
Me: Should we just eat fruits and vegetables and pasta?
Caroline: yes.
Me: What about fish? Is it ok to eat fish? (She LOVES salmon)
Caroline: Well, I DO like my salmon. I can't wait to tell Addie (her 2 year old sister) that all the things we like to eat are animals!





9 comments:

  1. bugs? what bugs are you eating? am I missing something??

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your blog! What a great way for those who love your family to keep up! Stacie, you are such a good mommie, If wishes were horses, I would go in time and correct my many mistakes...
    Aunt Von

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't you ever had chocolate covered ants? They are crunchy! Meme gave them to me for Christmas one year. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh sick Sherry! Say it ain't so!! What a total abuse of chocolate lol! Aunt Von! WHY?? Sorry to disappoint, but there is no insect eating going on over here. However, I will inform the girls that their are people out there that do eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Just don't tell her about mites in her bed...she'd freak! I'm waiting a few years to explain that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol Brenda! I can not watch those shows about the microscopic things that live in your house . . . heebie-jeebies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell Addie about the bugs that live in our eyelashes so she can run and tell Carolyn about them! Hehehe....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry is bad. Don't tell her we eat BABY animals, eggs, and that even if you eat only veggies they are grown in animal poop. That would blow her mind. You wanted a vegan kid? hahahaha I just LOVE to read about a mom who loves her kids. My mom loved kids and I love kids--such a gift, so much they teach us and oh so much FUN! It is a joy for me to read that joy from a mom.

    ReplyDelete